Friday, January 29, 2010

Boon Doggle









BOONDOGGLE: [ boon-dog-uhl]
-noun ;
1: A product of simple manual skill such as aplaited leather cord or knife sheath, made typically by a camper or a scout.
2: A work of little or no value designed to keep or make you look busy.
3: A project funded by the Federal Government out of political favoritism that is of no real value to the community or the nation.
( courtesy of dictionary.com ) I'll say mine was #2
On the ice a boondoggle is typically a morale trip designed so that staff can get away from the town for a bit and enjoy the scenery. The one I got to go on is called " room with a view" and everyone goes by snow mobile up to the base of the Mt Erebus Volcano where (on a clear day ) the view is reported to be phenominal.
The day I got to go it was overcast for the ride out but it was still fun since I had never driven a snow mobile before ( I had to buddy up with one of the Kiwi Firefighters on a machine) it was alot of fun. The clouds broke for a time when we reached the Base and I would have gotten more pictures if my camera batteries hadn't died.
While there we drank all drank cocoa and some of the guys played frisbee while others took pictures of the surrounding glacier toungue and mountains.. even the islands out on the sea were slightly visible.
That is most likely the only one I'll get to go on since my days here are numbered with just 16 bmore to go :-(
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment