Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Morning and assorted stuff
















Christmas on this side of the world runs a day ahead of everyone in the States. I had to work this morning for a bit to get some of the desserts for dinner baked off ( lot's and lot's of pies ), only had to work a short day though and will be on my way to enjoy the early Christmas dinner for the Galley staff.
Went for a hike late last week and was able to snap a picture of Scott Base ( the New Zealand Antarctic Post ), it looks a lot cleaner than it's gritty American counterpart LOL. Hopefully things at work will die down and I'll be able to make it inside the base on one of these American nights.
The building is where my new dorm room is, much nicer than the transient housing I was in and only one roomie instead of four YAY!
Yes, that's an F-350.. the USAP EDITION.. you won't find that model at your local Ford dealer, it would turn heads crusing down the street on tank treads though.. or maybe because the top speed is like 10 MPH.
Took a small snack back to my room, fresh baked bread that I made myself.. some awesome new zealand Bleu Cheese with Brie and a nice coffe cup full O' pinot to wash it down.
The mountain view is across the frozen Ross Sea to the land on the other side, in a few weeks an icebreakeing ship called the Odin is going to tear through the ice to make a path for the incoming fuel and supply ships that are due in early january, ships only make it in once a year to restock all supplies ( except for fresh produce , mail and of course people which are all flown in ).
I'm off work tomorrow and plan on doing a bit more hiking.. I'll try a different direction to get some new pictures of different snowy mountian tops and frozen seas.
Hope everyone has a Great Christmas
-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment